1) Hi guys! How are you? How was the New Years Night for you? Something special happened in that night? I’ve won some money at lottery. He,he,he.
We are fine. We all spent the New Year night with our families.
2) Now lets begin. Can you please tell me something about your musical backgrounds? Is any of you engaged in any side-projects?
I played in a couple of local bands before Crystal Eyes and I sing in a Judas Priest cover band. Claes played in a band called Sunrise. Stefan played in Freternia and Jonathan has never been in another band. We’re all self learned on our instruments.
3) Tell me about the history of Crystal Eyes: when was it formed and why, line-up changes (if any), etc.
I started the band with Niclas Karlsson in 1992. We both liked bands such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Accept, Dio, Manowar, Helloween etc and wanted to play that kind of music too. The first line-up included me on vocals and guitar, Niclas on guitar, Christian Gunnarsson on bass and Alesis HR-16 on drums (a drum machine). The line-up has been changed many times and I’m the only original member left. The present line-up has played together for about 3 years.
4) Can you tell me some inside stuff, like fights between members for an idea or for the same woman, any disagreements?
In 1995 the rest of the band left to start a new band. They wanted to play music like Pantera and I could not let that happened to Crystal Eyes. I’m the only songwriter and the rest of the current band is fine with that.
5) Lets move to Serious Stuff zone. When have you finished the album “Vengeance Descending”? How was it received by the public, mass-media? Any sell-outs?
Vengeance Descending took 7 months to record and mix but it was worth every second of it. We are more than proud of it. It has generally been received very well.
6) Have you had a serious tour to support the album? Do you enjoy life on tour, live activity etc.?
We have only made a couple of gigs after it but one of them was at the Sweden Rock Festival and that was the biggest gig we’ve ever done.
7) Reading the lyrics and listening to the music, I’ve found a strange world were vengeance is the only goal. Can you elaborate a little more this subject? What is the concept behind the lyrics?
There is no concept behind. There are some songs with fantasy lyrics, some with a little touch of reality and some that was inspired by a few movies. There is no hidden message in the lyrics and we think the music is the most important for us.
8) Only in some songs the “vengeance” is present. The first track, that gives the title of the album, speaks about a man cast out from the human race into space and now he wants a vengeance against Terra.. What is the story behind it? Why was he cast out?
He found out about the interstellar wars which you can find as the first song on our album “World Of Black And Silver”. “Vengeance Descending” is the last part of a sci-fi trilogy that was written by the other lyricist Andreas Götesson.
9) Reading also the lyrics for “Highland Revenge”, I’ve got the impression that you were influenced to write it by the movie “Braveheart”. The story is almost the same. Am I wrong?
You’re absolutely right. I love that movie.
10) Another song that made me wonder is “The Wizard’s Apprentice”. To obtain great power, I’m I able to take someone’s life? No, I’m not. If you were a Black Metal band, I would have asked you if you can kill someone. But, instead I’m asking what is the real goal of the song? To make us understand that power is evil if you obtain it by force and the only “right” way to get it is by learning?
It’s just fantasy lyrics. The apprentice is jealous of the master wizard and wants his power. As I sad before one shouldn’t over analyse our lyrics cause there’s mostly no hidden messages.
11) Mikael wrote “Child of Rock” for his daughter Jennifer. I’m glad when I see someone who likes kids. In my country, most people sees a kid like a curse. I see you want her to follow your steps in the Metal scene. Why? If she will want to experience with other kinds of music, will you let her?
I love my daughter, and I think that a song dedicated to some one you love is the greatest gift on earth. She loves the song, but she can of course listen to what ever she wants. If I force her to listen to only Heavy Metal she will probably end up listening to something else.
12) Now comes a very asked question: Metal music means something special for you? Why? What about Heavy Metal? What bands influenced you as a person, as a band?
There are two important things in life for me and they are my daughter and Heavy Metal. My favourite bands are: Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Accept, Dio, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Queensrÿche, Manowar, Heavens Gate, Crimson Glory, Savatage, Running Wild, Ozzy, Rainbow, Saxon, Scanner, Vicious Rumors, Blind Guardian, Rage, Riot, U.D.O, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pretty Maids, Loudness, Gary Moore, White Lion, TNT, Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Mötley Crüe and Scorpions
13) What are your future plans? Are you confident that this new year 2004 will be better for Crystal Eyes?
We’re now rehearsing the songs for the next album and the plan is to start the recording sometime later this year. So we’ll continue doing what we want. Playing Heavy Metal that is.
14) This is the end of the interview. Thanks for it and I hope you’ll come to play in Romania someday. Bye.
Thanks. It would be a great honour to play for the metalheads in Romania.
Official webpage: http://www.crystaleyes.net
Latest news: CRYSTAL EYES latest record CHAINED is nominated for Swedish Metal Awards 2009 in the category Heavy/Power Metal.